30 Cleaning Tips in 30 Days to Prepare your Home to Sell!
Where do you start when it is time to get your home ready to sell. Below is an extensive list of things to do to prepare your home for the Real Estate Market. You truly want it to look good and smell good. As you go through the list, you might wonder if some of these things are necessary. The answer is yes. People will look in cabinets, drawers, and closets to see how much space there is for their things. They also want to know how well the current how has kept the house. If the home shows "pride of ownership", it give the homebuyer a sense of confidence that the seller has cared for the home over the years. After-all, who wouldn't want a well cared for home?
And, take advantage of this time to discard anything you don't want to take to your new home. There are many wonderful organizations out there to donate to. Just remind yourself, if you're not using it, there's probably someone who would really appreciate it. It's also a great time to get donation receipts for tax purposed. Just be sure to check with your accountant.
So, be tough on yourself. Put on some comfortable clothes and pull out the cleaning supplies. As an added bonus, you'll have a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. Happy Cleaning!
Get Your Home Ready to Sell in 30 Days!
If you are like me, you are busy, busy, busy! There are many chores that I "ignore" when time is short, but if I were planning to sell my home, I'd need to tackle them and make my house sparkle!
If you are considering selling your home, go ahead and start working on the list below. In just 30 days, your home will SHINE! Don't forget to continue with your everyday chores too! You will want your home to be "Show Ready" 24/7!
1. Clean the ceiling fan blades (all of them).
2. Use a damp cloth and wipe down all baseboards. I have heard that following with a fabric softener helps reduce dust build up in the future, but have never tried it myself.
3. Clean out the refrigerator! Be brutal and throw away all those condiments that you can't even remember buying or using! Don't forget to wipe down the outside too, dust the top and if you don't have it on your regular maintenance list.... Vacuum the coils!
4. Clean out the cabinets and drawers in the kitchen. Follow by wiping down the doors and pulls.
5. Pressure Wash the drive and walkways. Clean the siding if necessary, being careful with wood or painted surfaces to avoid chipping or splintering.
6. Pull weeds from gardens, and plant a few colorful flowers near front door.
7. Repair any nail holes or damage to walls and touch up the paint.
8. Wipe down all door knobs and other hardware and polish if necessary.
9. Clean every window.... Inside & out!
10. Clean and organize bathroom cabinets and drawers.
11. Purge the pantry and clean, organize and show potential buyers just how much space is there!
12. Tackle the "honey do" list and fix all those small repairs. You know the ones, the loose door pull, the leaning mailbox, the creaky door hinge, etc.
13. Replace burnt out light bulbs and clean the fixtures while you're at it.
14. As annoying as it is..... clean the grout of your tile floors (and any other tiled surface).
15. Clean the microwave and the oven!
16. Take down curtains and drapes, clean them, and decide whether or not they should be re-hung! Natural light can be a BIG selling point!
17. Purge and de-clutter! If you just can't bring yourself to dispose of ANYTHING.... box it up and store it!
18. Clean and organize your closets! If you haven't worn it in 2 years, chances are, you will never wear it! Get rid of it by donating to a great cause in your area. Then, organize by length and color and it will look amazing! Box up your out of season shoes and clothing and show those buyers just how "roomy" that closet is!
19. Dust! And I mean EVERYTHING! The lamps, the picture frames, the ugly artificial plants & flowers.... EVERYTHING!
20. Vacuum every inch of every room. Under the beds, the sofas, behind the bookshelves, the corners of the ceiling, the air vents (and change the air filters)..... EVERY INCH!
21. Clean the garage. Take everything out (I know it's a big job), sweep, pressure wash the floors, repaint the floor if needed & possible, and then organize as you put the items back. Again, I want you to purge! Do you really need that broken leaf blower or those empty paint cans? Just do it.... It will feel Great!
22. If you store things in the attic or basement, you will need to clean and purge those areas too! Yep, buyers will look in your attic and if they choose to buy the home, a home inspector will appreciate clean and easy access!
23. Clean every sink, tub and toilet and re-caulk if needed.
24. Sweep and clean the patio or deck! If needed, clean any outdoor furniture. Add a couple of new cushions to the outdoor living area or maybe a few potted plants.
25. Clean the gutters, and the roof. Huge piles of pine straw or leaves scream "High Maintenance". If you do not feel comfortable, hire someone to tackle the roof for you..... It can be a dangerous job!
26. Wash all of your throw rugs, bedding, pillow covers, blankets, etc. It will help the home smell and look "fresh".
27. Clean the yard! Remove any fallen limbs or trash. Trim shrubs and branches from walkways and keep a clean path around the home. Keep the lawn mowed and raked and looking fabulous. Remember, first impressions are important!
28. I know you live in the home, but try to make it a little less "personal". If you have hundreds of family photos hanging around (I have them too), pack some up. The doll collection that has taken over the guest room, box that up too. By de-personalizing the home, buyers find it easier to imagine the house with their "stuff" in it.
29. Buy a laundry basket or bin for each family member and place in the laundry room or a closet for everyday pickup. When your REALTOR® calls you to schedule a showing, each family member grabs their basket/bin and runs around filling it with items that need to be put away. Then deliver the items to where they belong.
30. On this day, I want you to rest! Call your REALTOR®, let them know you want to sell your home and schedule a meeting. Tell them to go ahead and bring their camera, because the house is READY!
Keller Williams Preferred Realty
By Carla Freund Realty Team
Find Carla Freund Realty Team online:
Created by Quinky - Freepik.com
Contact Carla Freund, Broker, Keller Williams Preferred Realty, Licensed Realtor® in North Carolina at 919-602-8489 to list your property for sale or to purchase a property in Cary, Raleigh, Morrisville, Apex, Fuquay-Varina, Garner, Holly Springs, Pittsboro, Durham, Chapel Hill, Johnston County, and the surrounding areas.
Now accepting referrals.**Not meant as a solicitation to individuals already working with a Professional Real Estate Agent.**
Disclaimer: The information provided herein is supplied by several sources and is subject to change without notice. The Raleigh - Cary Home Reviews Blog, Keller Williams and Carla Freund does not guarantee or is any way responsible for its accuracy, and provides said information without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied. Entries on Raleigh - Cary Home Reviews represent the opinions and ideas of the author(s). Raleigh - Cary Home Reviews Blog does not express the views of Keller Williams, or those of the broker.
How can International Buyer Find Homes in Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill and Triangle Areas?
International Real Estate Search Translated into other Languages and Currencies: